The Town Council has approved the operation of golf carts for general use within town limits.
Inspection & Permits
For general use of golf carts on Ogden Dunes streets, an inspection by the Ogden Dunes Police Department is required and upon passing inspection, a permit sticker will be applied to the driver's side rear of the golf cart. Please read the Rules and Regulations below to understand what is required for the inspection.
Rules & Regulations
Below are the main highlights for golf cart use in town:
- A golf cart permit is required and the driver is required to comply with all laws applicable to carts and other motor vehicles as outlined in the Indiana Transportation Code.
- A golf cart cannot operate at a speed greater than 25 miles per hour on Ogden Dunes streets.
- The golf cart permit is valid for one year and the following fees are applicable:
- Initial inspection by Police Department - $35.00 (includes Permit/Sticker)
- In order for a golf cart to receive a permit, an inspection must be completed by the Ogden Dunes Police Department.
- At time of inspection, the applicant must provide proof of liability insurance that meets minimum state requirements.
- A golf cart driver must be at least 16-years-old and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Seat belts for occupants are required.
- The number of occupants in a Motorized Cart shall be limited to the number of persons for whom seat belts are provided on the vehicle. The operator and all occupants shall be seated upon the seat of the vehicle and no part of the body of the operator or occupant shall extend outside the perimeter of the vehicle while the vehicle is being operated except while signaling turns or stops. A Driver shall not permit any occupant of a Cart to ride in the lap of any occupant or stand on the rear of the vehicle while the vehicle is in motion.
- Golf carts must park in the same manner as motor vehicles or in designated cart parking locations.
- Golf cart drivers are required to carry their driver's license, liability insurance card, and have the appropriate permit/inspection sticker affixed to the rear driver's side of the cart when the cart is in operation on Ogden Dunes streets.
Golf Cart Inspection Report Form.pdf